A clinical stage biopharmaceutical company pioneering in precision medicine to discover, develop and commercialize targeted therapies for the treatment of rare diseases, was transitioning from an R&D organization into a fully-integrated global pharmaceutical company. The manufacturer approached Blue Fin Group for support in preparing for product commercialization of their first therapeutic candidate in a new drug class for potential treatment of a rare vascular disease.
Blue Fin Solution
Blue Fin Group has extensive experience launching orphan / rare products and we leveraged this experience to support the client in developing various commercial aspects of their market access strategy and tactical implementation. To address the client’s solution, Blue Fin Group provided support across eight product commercialization areas over a period of 14 months in order to enable launch readiness:
- Third-Party Logistics (3PL) Service Provider Selection
- Distribution and Dispensing Channel Strategy
- Distribution and Dispensing Channel Partner Selection
- Patient Access and Support Services (PASS) Strategy
- Patient Access and Support Services (PASS) Provider(s) Selection
- Commercial Data Platform Service Provider Assessment and Selection
- Market Access Financial Forecasting Model Development (included gross to net (GTN) and non-GTN components related to market access as well as insights)
- Post acquisition support: Patient Interactions Mapping for PASS Model
Our solution resulted in a right sized and fully integrated commercial distribution, dispensing and patient services strategy that was customized to the needs of the orphan / rare disease product, the target patient population and the market access requirements of an emerging manufacturer in the orphan / rare therapeutic category.
Results And Benefit
Blue Fin Group’s thoughtful and comprehensive product commercialization work enabled the emerging manufacturer to seek attractive valuation from big pharma by showcasing its potential to operate as a stand alone company prepared for its first commercial product launch. This emerging manufacturer was acquired for > $10B by a large pharmaceutical manufacturer that would then be responsible for product approval and commercial launch.
Lastly, based on the quality of the commercial strategy work completed with the emerging manufacturer, Blue Fin Group was approached by the acquiring organization to support post acquisition integration and knowledge transfer to support continued commercial launch planning